Saturday, January 9, 2016

Vertical Striped Fish 1.0

Here's a blue fish for this year's Rainbow Scrappy Challenge. And yes, it did have to have reconstructive surgery on its nose. It's always easier to make subsequent blocks once I have a sample to work from. The fish is 8.5 by 9 inches finished. And although the design is based on a half-inch grid, only the nose has tiny pieces. The stripes, for example, are 1.5 inches wide.

I'm also wondering whether the fish needs its eye or not. This fish design is easier to make than last year's fish. But without an eye, any fish I make can swim to the right or left. Decisions, decisions.

13 comments:

Edith said...

Love fish, love your fish blocks, love blue, all good.

Cathy said...

Love this fish! Why not put the eye in the middle of that blue square behind the nose? Then the fish could swim either way. But these fish are very talented and could probably swim either way without eyes. And now I need to go contemplate fish noses.

Turid said...

A lovely and cool fish as it is.

gayle said...

Or you could give them two eyes and call them flounders...

scraphappy said...

I like them just as they are. Eyes could always be added later if you feel the need

Cathy said...

Oh, I like this new fish. Blind fish can swim up and down too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Wonderful stripey fish! I rather like this with the eye but as you rightly point out he/she couldn't be swimming in he opposite direction.

LA Paylor said...

I'd add the eye... makes it more personable to me. Button, or fused.

Karen said...

Blue fish is adorable. I think he needs an eye. You don't want him to get lost.

Helen in the UK said...

What fun :)

Ellen said...

Fun block!

Magpie Sue said...

Great fish! Eyes could be added with a permanent marker, paint, or even a bit of embroidery (if you felt it absolutely necessary).

Sheila said...

What a FUN block. Beautiful.