Saturday, June 6, 2015

Peacock Blues

I was thinking of calling in sick with the peacock blues, but decided to own up to this disaster instead. First, the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge is celebrating light blue and blue-green this month. So I thought...peacock blue! My bird for the month can be a peacock. But it turns out that peacocks are not peacock blue...unless you put them in a blender...and they don't approve of one saying such a thing, let alone doing it.

Aagh! What happened? The light strip at the bottom is the background fabric that I am using for the monthly bird blocks.  I automatically used it for the background although this "block" is too big to be combined with the other bird blocks anyway.  And because peacocks have light legs and feet, they disappear completely from view.

I was also going to use the background fabric to curve around the corners like real peacock plumage, but I can't bear to waste any more fabric on this. I think I will chase it outside before it tries to claim UFO status. And while I'm outside, I think I'll go looking for a bluebird to serve as the June block instead.

11 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

I have to say when looking at the block I never noticed the feet in the bottom strip until you mentioned that the legs and feet disappear! It seems such a shame to chase this bird outside or "blend it" but if you're definitely not happy with it then perhaps a bluebird would make you happier!

gayle said...

Or a Blue Jay. They're not as arrogant as peacocks, but still pretty sassy. Scrappy, you might say...
/ducking and running

Nell's Quilts said...

Sounds like you have it all planned out. Good luck with bird number 2.

LA Paylor said...

lots of log cabin work there girl. Why don't you just add a bit of markers to define those nude stockings
LeeAnna

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice pieced background for your peacock!!

Scrappy quilter said...

I just love reading your stories on the birds. Nice background for your peacock.

Sheila said...

I enjoy your posts!

Dasha said...

The colours of that peacock block are just gorgeous!
Could you do some crazy quilting/embroidery/quilting in a distinctive colour to highlight the legs? It would be such a shame to discard the block entirely.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sorry it didn't work out - loved your backstory .... How large is he?

PaulaB quilts said...

Sorry I could not see the feet, because I would have recognized it instead of thinking it was a one-eyed blue cat with green ears. I do love the subtle log cabin blocks for background. By the way, my blue strips are highly trained and well disciplined and would never become blue spaghetti. It is the yellow ones who are rebellious, creeping around out of their allotted space. However, they are in the warm tone box, not as tightly packed as the cool tones are.

Deb A said...

Wow... lots of work. I missed the feet until I read more of the blog. Maybe use a colored pencil and define it? It will be lovely finished =)