Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sunday, January 23, 2011


A little quilt. The design was adapted from an earlier linocut illustration of the story of the three bears.

Friday, January 21, 2011


Midnight visitors.

More Tommy filtered. Internet connections problems kept this from being posted yesterday. Ahem. Do you think this will make me less apt to procrastinate until the end of the day (night)?

Monday, January 17, 2011


Little quilt using the snail design posted a few days ago.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sunday, January 9, 2011


A small (8.5X11 inch) quilt. I think the lion still needs some quilting to give it definition, especially around the mane. I started with hand applique for the lion, saw the folly of my ways and switched to fusing.

Saturday, January 8, 2011


A design revision. This gives the lion and mouse illustration some context, hopefully without detracting too much from the action of the mouse taking the thorn out of the lion's paw.

Friday, January 7, 2011


Cats. As with everyone, I am getting sucked under by life and am having trouble getting to new designs until late in the day. So apparently this is moving away from a lesson in design and into a question of daily priorities. Sigh.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011


Toucan. Toucan with misplaced foot, apparently. To look on the bright side, a goal for this blog is to provide deadlines usually provided by the workplace or school. So at least it ensured that I spend some time with Illustrator today. And besides, the reality is design, redesign, make something. Okay, its design, redesign, redesign, redesign, then maybe make something.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011


A 64X72 inch post-stamp charm quilt. Postage stamp refers to one-inch finished squares, and charm quilt means no repeat fabrics. So this is definitely an object, and more crazy than design. I began putting this together over a year ago. I first proposed the project as a joke, but I couldn't stop once started. And now it is finally finished.


And to construct it I cut short 1.5 inch strips then sewed four of these together. Then I cut them to size and pieced larger and larger blocks. I wanted a random look but went with local decisions. That is, I only made decisions about what to put next to what based on the pieces I had before me. (The other alternative is to lay it out and rearrange the squares "globally".)

Monday, January 3, 2011

Sunday, January 2, 2011


Like many others, I was inspired by Brock Davis' "Make Something Cool Everyday." I didn't, however, want to limit myself to having to make items within a single day. It also seemed more realistic to make designs one day and then use them to make an object on another day or over the course of several days. And hence the notion of "The Objects of Design."

Yesterday I worked out the lion and mouse design in Adobe Illustrator. And today I show the linocut and the cards I printed based on that design. And I was happy to not limit myself to one day because it has been a while since I have printed anything and I forgot how long it takes to setup and get a half way decent image.